Friday, October 7, 2011
Final Post! Media Oppression
Media has long been a target for criticism. Given that it's main agenda is to earn profit, it's hardly able to take in account the other factors such as equality in gender, race, and social status. As a result, directly or indirectly, they oppress a lot of individuals and groups. Thus the rise of critics such as the feminist movements. One of their arguments struck me a lot because I myself am very guilty of this. The muted group theory speaks about how certain groups are not able to express themselves in a democratic and public sphere. I drive myself to school and everywhere else and what I hate most are slow drivers. Here in this country, or at least this region, traffic is crazy; and having slow drivers make me go crazy as well. Heavy traffic and slow drivers make life exponentially difficult. So basically, I subscribe to one of the muted group's points that women are silenced through Ridicule. Whenever there's a slow driver in a road where there are hardly any cars, I always say "grabe babaeng driver, hassle." I'm right more often than not, and I must say I believe in this method of muting through ridicule because nothing is more real than what is actual. Girl driving = slow/hassle on the road. However, this prejudice does not give them any room for improvement. I have boxed them in such a way that they cannot grow even if they try. My attitude must be changed at once, and I realized this through this class that shattered the glass of the reality of oppression through ridicule.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You made it, Miguel! Final post! :)
ReplyDeleteI know how much of an effort it took for you (and everyone else, for that matter) to maintain this blog. But let me tell you this: you have a very critical mind, and even in your class recitations, I know that you have a lot of very wise things to say.
Strive for the best always, Miguel, and always be generous with your ideas. There is so much to learn from them.